Saturday, November 28, 2009

11/20/2009

Tonight, I was noticing the stars here in our small town. It's kind
of hard not to notice them here, they are so brilliant. You just find
yourself staring and you look very strange. One of the volunteers has
been asked on multiple occaisions if we have stars in America. In
America, it always fascinates me to look at the stars because it's
pretty stunning how many there are. Here in our small town in
Ethiopia, you can probably see twice as many as you can in most places
in America. Even out in rural Georgia, where Kimberly and I went to
school, there was more light pollution than here.

In my town, when the sun goes down, it's dark. There are no street
lights in our town, the shops and restaurants aren't open after dark,
so it is really dark here. It's one of those things that I wish I
could take a picture of it and send it back to my family and friends,
but it wouldn't do it justice. It reminds me of the John Mayer song
"3x5" where he's singing about how he didn't take any pictures because
he would rather tell the person about what he saw rather than just
show a picture. Maybe one day I can bring someone back to Ethiopia
with me and I can show them what I've seen. It's one of the most
gorgeous things I have ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment